As decadent as a dark chocolate steel cut oatmeal recipe may sound, it’s not quite as overindulgent as you may think. In fact, I would almost say it’s on the healthier side. Using steel cut (read less-processed) oats, coconut milk, and just a hint of dark chocolate, this recipe is perfect for a weekend brunch. In fact, it can also be made ahead of time and easily warmed up on the weekends as well! It takes a little more work than simply adding hot water to a pack of over processed stuff, but well worth the effort.
Back in the day, when I had first graduated college and was trying to get my sh** together, I would make these first thing in the morning. There was nothing better than getting settled by doing some light cooking first thing to get my thoughts together. After a hearty breakfast, I was ready to get my butt in gear and start applying to jobs. I like to think that it worked, because shortly afterwards, I got my first job! Long story short, this dark chocolate steel cut oatmeal recipe brings back a lot of good memories, and tastes really, really good.
DARK CHOCOLATE STEEL CUT OATMEAL RECIPE
— 3 cups vanilla coconut milk
— 1 cup steel cut oats
— 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
— 2 tablespoons peanut butter
— 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
— 2 squares dark, dark chocolate, 1 extra for topping
— greek yogurt
— fresh fruit (we used strawberries and bananas)
1. Start by bringing the coconut milk to a boil.
2. Add the steel cut oats and cook uncovered on medium to high heat and bring to a boil
3. Once it’s boiling, turn down the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, mixing occasionally. The oats should absorb all the liquid.
4. Add in 2 chocolate squares and stir until it melts.
5. Remove the oats from the heat and stir in the cocoa powder.
6. Separate into two bowls and mix in 1 tablespoon peanut butter in each.
7. Add a healthy dollop of greek yogurt and fruit on top.
8. Drizzle maple syrup lightly over the yogurt and fruit.
9. Top off with shaved chocolate! Pro-Tip: Use a vegetable peeler to shave the chocolate squares!
We’d love to see your version! Upload it to Instagram with #cultcooks so we can check it out!