One of the questions that really plagues me at night is why in god’s name don’t we have a Flex Mussels in the West Coast. My-Linh took me to this gem of a seafood joint when I last visited her in New York, and I’ve longed to go back. For those who love mussels, Flex Mussels has a huge assortment of different mussels cooked in inventive broths like chipotle adobo or curry coconut. Of course, I also love the quaint, rustic decor and how everything comes out in its own little bucket, as if you cooked it yourself. Give me a few pots of mussels, a dark stout, sit me outside to dine under the twinkle lights and I’m a happy camper.
I also just got the latest edition of Bon Appetit in the mail, where they featured a spicy red mussel recipe. I was convinced. I must try making it for myself. And now I am a convert. Although it may seem daunting (at least it did to me), mussels are ridiculously easy to make. I riffed off the Bon Appetit’s recipe and make smoked chorizo tomato mussels. It only took 30 minutes or so, and is perfect for your next summer soiree or cookout. Enjoy!
STEAMED CHORIZO TOMATO MUSSELS RECIPE
- 3 lbs mussels, washed and debearded
- 3 oz chorizo
- 1 yellow onion or 3 shallots
- 1 pint cherry tomatos, halved
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil + a little more
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small pan, cook onions until they’re softened. Set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil over a dutch oven or heavy pot, over medium heat and add the chorizo. When the chorizo browns and crisps, add the garlic and fennel seeds and stir for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
3. Add tomatoes and wine and bring to a simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer until it’s reduced by three-quarters, which takes about 6-8 minutes.
4. Add the cooked onions and mussels, stirring occasionally. It will be done when the mussels are open, which takes about 6-8 minutes. Mussels that don’t open should be discarded. Top with parsley and enjoy with thick toast.