I’m one of those people who actually loves salads. I could eat them for every meal, and I find them especially refreshing during the hot summer months. I recently rediscovered the lyonnaise salad and am now obsessed. With rich pancetta, slightly bitter frisee, tart balsamic and an oozy poached egg, this salad marries simple flavors into a truly delicious salad. It’s the perfect salad for a weekend brunch when you’re craving something rich but not too heavy. Enjoy!
LYONNAISE SALAD RECIPE
- 2 cups frisee (My local grocery store didn’t have just frisee so I got a blend)
- 1 small package pancetta, about 4 oz
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 eggs
- croutons (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. When it’s hot, add the pancetta and cook until it’s brown and crisp. Add the shallot and cook until it’s soft. Add in 2 tbsp of the vinegar and the mustard and let it come to a boil while stirring. Turn off the heat. If you tend to like your salad dressing a little more tart, add another tbsp of sherry vinegar. However, try it before you do to ensure it’s to your taste.
- Poach the eggs.
- Put the salad greens in a large bowl and drizzle with the dressing and pancetta. Add croutons if you choose to have them. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Portion onto two plates and top salads off with a poached egg.